Tuesday, November 19, 2019

89. Mister Rogers as Life Design Consultant

Often, I the fact I'm a strong follower as opposed to a strong leader, and that competent as I am, what I can say are great attributes are that I'm honest and I try to be fair. Dreading that I may be more of an executor than a creative force, I know I have to just get out and DO IT.

In the meantime, The New York Times article by Jeanne Marie Laskas, has so many brilliant observations of how Fred Rogers and his decency are important (especially now!), that in this case I'm a willing strong follower. Here's one great nugget:
L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.” That was Fred’s favorite quote. He had it framed and hanging on a wall in his office. “What is essential is invisible to the eyes,” from Saint-Exupéry’s “The Little Prince.” “It’s not the honors and the prizes and the fancy outsides of life which ultimately nourish our souls,” he once said, expounding on the idea in a speech. “It’s the knowing that we can be trusted, that we never have to fear the truth, that the bedrock of our very being is good stuff. … What is essential about you that is invisible to the eyes?”

(Originally slated for October 8, 2019; posted November 19)

No comments: