Monday, November 25, 2013

Licorice



While researching and sketching for a project, I came across an image of this 1925 poster by A.M. Cassandre whose talent I'd almost die to have (this is my almost-Faustian moment).

Many New Yorkers of a certain age know Florent as the gifted and energetic French artist who redefined an area now known as The Meatpacking District (when Florent first arrived in the area, the streets ran with blood from many a meat market).

I know this poster for Reglisse Florent as one of the very best purchases I ever made. The next best thing to being able to design a poster like this is to have it in your home. It's amazing how Cassandre elevated licorice (the word looks and sounds better in French, doesn't it?) to arresting art.

Today's Reglisse Florent Haribo is packaged in a far busier container.

No comments: